Current:Home > NewsIndexbit Exchange:Oregon man who was sentenced to death is free 2 years after murder conviction was reversed -Capitatum
Indexbit Exchange:Oregon man who was sentenced to death is free 2 years after murder conviction was reversed
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 13:45:27
SALEM,Indexbit Exchange Ore. (AP) — A man sentenced to death for a 1998 murder is now free, two years after the Oregon Court of Appeals reversed the conviction.
The Oregon Innocence Project on Wednesday accused the state of committing a “heinous injustice” in its handling of the case. The Marion County District Attorney’s office on Tuesday asked the Marion County Circuit Court to dismiss the case against Jesse Johnson, saying that “based upon the amount of time that has passed and the unavailability of critical evidence in this case, the state no longer believes that it can prove the defendant’s guilt.”
The court granted the motion, and late Tuesday, Johnson walked out of the county jail where he was held while prosecutors had mulled a retrial for the stabbing death of nurse’s aide Harriet “Sunny” Thompson, 28, in her Salem home. Johnson, who is Black, has repeatedly claimed innocence and refused a plea deal over the years.
Video shot outside the jail Tuesday showed Johnson, smiling and wearing gray sweats with white socks and black slides, walking next to a sheriff’s deputy who was pushing a cart with belongings inside.
“Oh yeah, oh yeah,” Johnson said as supporters hugged him.
While Johnson had been sentenced to death after he was convicted in 2004, former Gov. John Kitzhaber declared a moratorium on executions in 2011. Last year, then Gov. Kate Brown commuted all of the state’s 17 death sentences and ordered the dismantling of the state’s execution chamber
The Oregon Innocence Project, which represented Johnson during the appeal process, said racism played a role in Johnson’s wrongful imprisonment. The group said Johnson’s trial lawyers failed to interview a key witness who saw a white man fleeing the home of Thompson, who was Black.
“There were clear and unambiguous statements of racism by a detective involved in the case who discouraged a neighbor from sharing that she witnessed a white man running away from the scene on the night of the murder,” said Steve Wax, Oregon Innocence Project’s legal director.
That neighbor was Patricia Hubbard, but Johnson’s trial lawyers didn’t seek her out. Hubbard told investigators — who contacted her only after Johnson was convicted — she had seen a white man park his van in Thompson’s driveway around 3:45 a.m. March 20, 1998, and go inside.
Seconds later, Hubbard heard screaming coming from Thompson’s house, a thud and then silence. She said she then saw the white man run from the house.
Soon after the murder, another of Thompson’s neighbors had brought a Salem police detective to Hubbard’s house. When Hubbard began describing what she had seen, she alleges the detective said that a Black woman got murdered and a Black man is “going to pay for it.”
The Oregon Court of Appeals noted Johnson’s defense team failed to interview Hubbard when it reversed his murder conviction in October 2021.
The state resisted requests for additional DNA testing that could have revealed other suspects, Wax said. Johnson’s DNA wasn’t on any of the tested murder evidence.
“For 25 years, the State of Oregon has fought to defend their deeply flawed case against our former client, Jesse Johnson,” Wax said in a statement. “There can be no more heinous injustice imaginable than for Mr. Johnson to have heard a sentence of death pronounced against him all those years ago in Marion County and to then waste away for years on death row.”
In their request that the case be dismissed, prosecutors said no other suspect has been identified in Thompson’s murder “despite ongoing investigation.”
District Attorney Paige Clarkson and Oregon Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Wax said Johnson is now a free man “but has been left with absolutely nothing by the State of Oregon.”
“He didn’t even get the paltry amount of gate money that someone would usually get when released because the dismissal of his case means he isn’t entitled to it,” Wax said.
veryGood! (169)
Related
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Activists call on France to endorse a consent-based rape definition across the entire European Union
- The debate over Ukraine aid was already complicated. Then it became tangled up in US border security
- Crews extinguish Kentucky derailment fire that prompted town to evacuate, CSX says
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Memorial planned for Kansas police dog that was strangled after chasing suspect into storm drain
- Georgia high school baseball player in coma after batting cage accident
- New Zealand’s new government promises tax cuts, more police and less bureaucracy
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Alabama priest Alex Crow was accused of marrying an 18-year-old and fleeing to Italy.
Ranking
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Georgia high school baseball player in coma after batting cage accident
- The second installment of Sri Lanka’s bailout was delayed. The country hopes it’s coming in December
- A Mom's Suicide After Abuse Accusations: The Heartbreaking Story Behind Take Care of Maya
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Russian lawmaker disputes report saying he adopted a child taken from a Ukrainian children’s home
- Rapper Young Thug’s long-delayed racketeering trial begins soon. Here’s what to know about the case
- Memorial planned for Kansas police dog that was strangled after chasing suspect into storm drain
Recommendation
Travis Hunter, the 2
Why Mark Wahlberg Wakes Up at 3:30 A.M.
Expert picks as Ohio State faces Michigan with Big Ten, playoff implications
Sister Wives’ Christine and Janelle Brown Share Their Hopes for a Relationship With Kody and Robyn
Average rate on 30
Oscar Pistorius granted parole: Who is the South African Olympic, Paralympic runner
Papa John's to pay $175,000 to settle discrimination claim from blind former worker
Germany’s economy shrank, and it’s facing a spending crisis that’s spreading more gloom